Research at Aegis means counseling clients on how to manage their commodity-price risk. It’s the same price and fundamentals analysis a hedge fund or merchant-trading company does, but for the purpose of directly helping industry CFOs, CEO's, treasurers, and risk committees design and execute hedging (trading) programs.
- Develop the economic analyses that inform our trading and risk-management strategies
- Create original insight into oil and gas, but also industrial metals, carbon/emissions/environmental, or agriculture markets
- Identify and measure key risks that could send prices higher or lower, or contribute to price volatility
- Deliver findings through written and verbal presentation (including social media, blog posts, white papers, podcasts, media interviews, videos)
- Advise our existing clients on hedging strategy
- Use market expertise and original material to further AEGIS sales
Who is AEGIS Hedging Solutions?
AEGIS Hedging Solutions is a commodity hedging advisor. We work with commodity producers, consumers, and processors to manage their financial risk. Oil and gas markets are our primary interests, but environmental (carbon credits, renewable fuels) and industrial metals (aluminum, steel, copper) are our fastest-growing practices.
We provide action-oriented research to decision makers in manufacturing firms. We advise in swaps (futures) and options trading to offset our clients’ commodity risk. Our online platform is unique in the industry, as it not only measures risk and makes hedging recommendations, but also automates parts of the trading process.
In this market analysis role, the work is very similar to a trading analyst or research analyst, except that our purpose is not trading for profit, but providing our clients with sound advice on trading decisions, trading timing, and portfolio adjustment.
New analysts are quickly trusted to create original insight into oil, gas, metals, and agriculture markets and directly advise our clients on hedging strategy. We publish daily, weekly, and quarterly insights into the markets. This role is critical to the ongoing education of our clients and AEGIS colleagues regarding the factors that may impact commodity prices and the resulting hedge strategies to be deployed.
Further, our analysts are crucial to our sales team and winning new business. We trust analysts to be persuasive and articulate. This role is an excellent vehicle for exercising speaking and writing skills in a commercial environment. We will teach you how to translate economic analysis into real financial trading and hedging decisions that will be implemented under your guidance.
How is this role different than most analysts?
This is a position where your writing, knowledge, and analysis will quickly impact strategic business decisions and generate real-world feedback.
Compared to a traditional analyst on a trading desk, the major difference is our emphasis on communication, teaching, and customer service. The actual work is very similar; we use fundamentals and trade knowledge to form a market opinion for every commodity we cover.
Although AEGIS has doubled in size twice in the last four years, the environment and culture still feels like a start-up. We are entrepreneurs and never satisfied with stagnation. It is exciting and challenging, and we have been rewarded with growth and zero boredom.
- Bachelor’s degree (required); additional education is highly regarded
- 2+ years experience in Natural Gas, Oil, or NGL commodities analysis
- Comfortable communicating in firms view face to face on camera
- Excellence in portraying technical information via written communication
- Proficiency in all major Microsoft Office programs, with heavy emphasis on Excel
- Knowledge of python, R, SQL, is a plus, but not required
- Working knowledge of financial modeling and reporting capabilities
- Previous experience with Web publishing and/or BI platforms and/or risk-management software a plus
Location: Our main office in The Woodlands, TX. Hybrid work or reporting to our South Shepherd Drive in Houston depends on the candidate.
Why Join Aegis Hedging?
AEGIS simplifies commodity and environmental markets for companies serious about managing their commodity exposures and/or emission footprints. AEGIS has unmatched technology and expertise to deliver market insights, tailored hedge strategies, efficient trade execution, and full-cycle management of hedge positions – all designed for regulatory compliance. AEGIS was recently named the industry leader in hedging solutions for an unprecedented fifth consecutive year. AEGIS is headquartered in The Woodlands, Texas.
- We’ll give you the autonomy and resources to make an impact
- Competitive Compensation and Bonus Eligibility
- Employer sponsored benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, and Short-Term Disability) package including 401k with employer contribution
- Employer Sponsored Perks and Benefits
- Competitive Vacation that respects your time away to observe, have fun or simply rejuvenate
Aegis Hedging is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and internships. Aegis makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.